Thursday 15 March 2018

My Mute Girlfriend by Himanshu Rai - Book Review

my mute girlfriend book


Book Name - My Mute Girlfriend

Author - Himanshu Rai

Blurb -

“That day I realized I had lost her forever. I had lost her smile, her friendship, her voice… But still, somewhere in my heart, I believed her to be my girlfriend. My mute girlfriend.” Rohan is a telecom professional posted in Meerut and misses his girlfriend from college days, who had stopped interacting with him, without giving any reason. Although she had always stood by his side and her eyes reflected immense love, but she remained his mute girlfriend. The book opens with an SMS from Vaidehi to Rohan, after five long years. But before he could reply, his mobile gets damaged and he wanders in his memories to narrate a story. About how his girlfriend became his mute girlfriend after the first year of their engineering college. My Mute Girlfriend is a true romance story of how Rohan unravels the answers to why Vaidehi was mute for so long and how their life is about to change. But little do they know that the worst is yet to come.

Review -

Rohan, an average boy is infatuated to his junior, Navya. He believes that he should achieve something before he confesses his love to her. He wishes to become an engineer. But, life has other plans for him. He meets Vaidehi, a studious and intelligent girl and falls in love with her. Confused between love and infatuation, Rohan seeks help from his sister. He confesses his love to Vaidehi only to suffer from a heartbreak later. Vaidehi stops talking to him altogether. Why does Vaidehi break Rohan's heart? Why does she stop talking to him?

To be honest, I found the story to be quite predictable and a bit boring. The story is a love story of two teenagers who fall in love and then grow apart. I felt like this story was like that old wine which is presented in a new bottle. Yes, there were many surprises and twists. But overall the story failed to hit those chords in my heart. At few instances, the story had turned really boring. I don't want this review to be a spoiler. But I cannot help myself from mentioning this particular incident from the story. It's the ragging incident. It is very much similar to the one from the movie, Three Idiots. The second thing that I would like to say here is the word 'mute'. It's all over the second part of the book. I found it a little weird..addressing your girlfriend as my mute girlfriend.

Coming to the narration, the story has been narrated in first person narrative. It has been done really well and has a personal touch to it. You will instantly connect with the characters. The language is simple and easy to understand. This novel is packed with emotions. You will be overwhelmed with the kind of relationship the characters, Rohan and Vaidehi share. It's too good to be true. I actually wondered why authors portray unconditional love between the characters. Does it actually exist?

The characters have been crafted well. They seem realistic. Selfless, adorable and determined - that is how you can define the characters of this book.

I found this book to be an okay-ish read.

I rate:
Cover- 3/5
Characters- 3/5
Story- 3/5

My overall rating for 'My Mute Girlfriend' is 3/5 stars.

You can buy your copies on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Privacy Policy

We, at Musings of a Vivacious Heart are passionate about writing. We publish blogs since it is the best way to reach out to our readers. Ou...